Town Of Poestenkill
 History 

Linda Sagendorf

History

History:

 

The Town of Poestenkill, established in 1848, is a vital and prosperous community that is rural by choice. We have pledged to protect its rich rural heritage and assets, as well as its scenic beauty.

 

Convenience to employment in Albany and Troy is a factor which has influenced our steady growth of new homes.

 

The Town of Poestenkill is governed by a Town Supervisor and a four-member Town Board. The Town provides municipal services including fire protection by contract with the Poestenkill Fire Company and Highway Department Services. Other Town officials include Town Clerk, two Justices, Superintendent of Highways, Assessor and Code Enforcement Officer/Building Inspector.

 

Residents and potential new homeowners are encouraged to call the Town Hall regarding the ordinances. Copies of codes, as well as the process for apply for variances, etc. will be available upon request.

How it all started!

The Town of Poestenkill takes its name from the Poesten kill, one of the most important streams in Rensselaer County. The town is located just south of the center of the county and is bounded on the North by Brunswick and Grafton, East by Berlin, South by Sand Lake and West by North Greenbush. It is one of the smallest and youngest towns in Rensselaer County. It was formed from Sand Lake on March 2, 1848.

 

Before the Revolutionary War, the first settlers moved into this area from Troy, Greenbush, Massachusetts, Connecticuit, and along the Hudson. Among the first settlers were the families of Lynd, Whyland, and Ives. Many other families began settling this area in the late 1700s and early 1800s.

 

Poestenkill is not a large town and that coupled with its location, it was not a very important route for stage traffic thus the number of taverns along the way were limited. The earliest tavern in town was owned by Samuel Delamater; later became know as the Blewer tavern, or Union Hall. Later the first floor of the tavern was our local Post Office as well as small store. The second floor is where James A Garfield taught writing as well as dances and gatherings were held there.

 

The first school was established in 1788 on land donated by Patroon Stephen VanRensselaer and later became know as District 3. There were a total of 8 one-room schools in the Town.

 

The Town sent many men off to the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War and many others.

 

The Town is comprised of four hamlets/settlements: Poestenkill, East Poestenkill, Barberville and Ives Corners. Principle industries in town were the shirt and collar factories, a tannery, saw mill, grist mill.

 

The first organized church was the First Baptist Church and it organized in 1814. Other churches in the western section of town were: St. Mary’s of the Woods, a German Church, a Dutch Reformed church, and the Union Gospel church. In the center of town were the Christian Church of Disciples and the Lutheran Church.

 

Contacts:
Town Historian
Linda Sagendorf
PO Box 140
Poestenkill, NY 12140
Email:
Phone: 518 244-3078

 

Office Hours:

 

Office- 776 Route 351

Open Mondays, September Thru May, 11 am- 3:30pm

Open Saturdays, 1-3pm

Appointments can be made by calling or e-mail 

 

Poestenkill Historical Society

Meet: Every 4th Tuesday, September thru June

Place: Town Hall Meeting Room
Time: 7:00 PM ( Annoucements, Program, Refreshments

Membership: Single person- $10.00
                     Family (1 address)- $15.00